As the musician Joe Strummer said, “The future is unwritten.” But even if you don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow, there are some important senior living trends for 2022 that offer insight into the future. If you’re considering making a move, here are some senior living industry trends to look for as you evaluate senior living communities.
Senior living communities of the future
Where you live is recognized as a vital contributor to your overall well-being. So to ensure a lifestyle that meets your needs today and can grow with you well into the future, it’s important to consider these senior living trends:
- Smart lifestyle: Accessible and user-friendly technology is important for maintaining independence. You already know about smart speakers and smart appliances you can use with your voice or smartphone. New technology can also help with fall detection, urgent response and remote assistance. Senior assistance technology is only expected to grow in the coming years.
- Uniquely you: Seniors aren’t looking for one-size-fits-all solutions. Instead, they’re looking for a lifestyle with personalized and customized options that includes housing, wellness, health care and personal care.
- Lifestyle with a purpose: Most of us enjoy having a goal or purpose. If that describes you, look for a community that offers volunteer opportunities or has a variety of activities that use your talents and knowledge to help the community and society.
- Natural benefits: Research suggests that views of nature and exposure to natural light and air can help reduce stress and lower blood pressure. Consider communities that recognize the full sensory benefits of nature by extending gardens into building designs and have balconies and patios.
- Affinity and beyond: Moving to an affinity community — where residents may share certain interests or other factors like a common race, religion or interest, can help create a sense of community and belonging.
- Changing pace of retirement: Today, retirement has a completely different look than it did for previous generations. While the idea of relaxing in the sun or sitting in a rocking chair may still be attractive to some older people, retirement is seen more often these days as a chance to pursue your passions. And as seniors enjoy better health and remain active longer, communities are offering more than bridge and book clubs. Now more than ever, a supportive community of like-minded people is out there for you.
- Variety is the spice of life: As the world continues to grow and change, one way to learn new things and broaden your horizons is by having a diverse group of neighbors. Whether they had different careers, are from different parts of the world, or have different beliefs, learning and experiencing new things help you get more out of life.
Building the future together.
Three million Americans turn 65 every year, impacting the present and the future of senior living. To stay up to date on all the senior living trends for 2022 and beyond, subscribe to Where You Live Matters. If you want to find a community of active, like-minded seniors in your area, use our Find a Community tool.
Where You Live Matters is powered by the American Seniors Housing Association(ASHA), a respected voice in the senior housing industry. ASHA primarily focuses on legislative and regulatory advocacy, research, and educational opportunities and networking for senior living executives, so they can better understand the needs of older adults across the country.